Type: 4-4-4 Electric profile locomotive (Stalin-era)
Length: 14.75 inches
Description: A locomotive was included in every train set produced by the Soviet Union in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Like the Khrushchev-era engine, the Stalin-era locomotive was a diesel-type with a 4-4-4 wheel arrangement. (The European designation is 2-B-2.) This symmetrical, die-cast power unit measures 14 3/4 inches long (coupler to coupler), 3 inches wide and 3 3/4 inches high — plus it weighs 6 pounds!
The unit has a 5-point star and a light on each end plus a manual reversing switch located underneath the cab — inside the center section of one side. (The direction of the locomotive determines which light will be lit.) European-style bumpers front and back plus grab rails around each of the four doors serve to enhance the beauty of the engine. Additional decoration includes the Soviet emblem cast into the sides with “CCCP” — Cyrillic for “USSR” incorporated into the logo and a quarter-inch red stripe at the bottom of the cab surrounds the entire the shell. A clear plastic window insert provides a nice finished look to the overall appearance of the cab. The chassis has sheet-metal truck sides with black or brown journals. The handsome spoked wheels were painted red and some engines came with the side rims painted white.
The Soviet Stalin-era engine was first produced in 1951 and its basic design was not changed throughout its history. There was, however, a government-mandated cosmetic change to the cab sometime in the early 1960’s, reflecting the politics of the Soviet Union during that time. That edict resulted in the creation of what is known today as a Khrushchev-era locomotive — basically a plainer Stalin-era engine.
Source: Dave’s Trains